For years, people been using PLA 3D printing filament with good results. Until they wanted something more durable with more strength and able to withstand higher temperatures. ABS seemed like the ideal candidate, Unfortunately ABS has some drawbacks of its own. ABS needs a heated bed and ideally an enclosure to keep the surrounding air warm, ABS has a tendency to warp and shrink, which can be very problematic. you can try and overcome these with Brims, Mouse Ears, or a raft. and with varying methods to improve bed adhesion but it can a big challenge. Another big draw back ABS has over PLA is that other then the smell, it is a much more toxic plastic. PLA is corn based and releases 3-30X less VOC Emmisions then ABS during extrusion.
PETG (polyethylene terephthalate glycol) is commonly used to make pop and water bottles, Ketchup and Salad dressing bottles.
Reasons Why PETG is better then ABS
- Food Safe Plastic
- Resistant to Solvents
- No Smell
- Low Warp (Much less then ABS)
- Fully Recyclable
- Lower Heat Bed temperature (0~80degrees)
- Doesn't Shrink
- Sticks great to a PEI print surface
- More likely to Bend vs Break
PETG isn't perfect it does have some issues that you need to be aware of.
- Need to print slower then ABS, PETG Cools Slower
- High extrusion temp (240 degrees)
- Not easy to dissolve, as it is resistant to solvents.
- More Stringy then ABS & PLA
- Absorbs moisture
PETG Filament is available here :)